Friday 25 September 2015

League Cup Special and Premier League Preview



Hello you lovely people and welcome to another Weekly Strike! There has been plenty of talking points this week with North London Derby and Mathieu Flamini scoring a goal worthy of winning any game. We also saw Liverpool really struggle against Carlisle and just about scrape through on penalties. Chelsea, Man United and Man City also got through to the next round.


So Let's start at White Hart Lane where on Wednesday night it was the North London Derby and it didn't disappoint, the atmosphere was electric and you could feel the tension. There is no such a thing as a little game between Tottenham and Arsenal where the hatred is definitely mutual and both sets of fans were class, sure there maybe songs that are not exactly very nice but this game isn't for the faint hearted. I am not going to lie to you, seeing Mikel Arteta and Flamini starting didn't give me the world of confidence as both haven't played an awful lot of football but I will gladly admit I was wrong and I feel a bit sorry for Mathieu Debuchy as well because every time he gets recalled it seems to be against a massive rival and he got the run around from Danny Rose for most of the game. It was pretty end to end in the first half and Spurs probably could have been in front if it wasn't for some last ditch defending and Harry Kane not having his shooting boots on. I am not going to lie, when I saw Flamini up there to rebound the shot which Vorm parried,  I thought oh god but he finished it with aplomb. Spurs probably deserved their goal even though it was a very unfortunate moment for Chambers who poked into his own net and if it wasn't for Kieran Gibbs being on the line, Harry Kane would have scored a pretty good scissor kick. The winner was something but it wasn't helped by some completely woeful defending from Fazio who looks terrible, he kind of just hoofed into the air and Mathieu Flamini hopped, skipped and smashed into the bottom corner to send the away fans into raptures. A quick mention about the hoarding being ripped down, while I don't condone vandalism, it happens every time between these two and anyone who wants to come to the next one will see what goes on.

Liverpool's poor form goes on as they just about got passed the League 2 side Carlisle on penalties. Brendan Rodgers has spent an awful lot of money and they have gone backwards and nobody seems to know the answer. I know you can look at the fact they have lost some of their key players like Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge due to injury but they haven't recruited well in my opinion. I think Carlisle were superb and they didn't look out of place at Anfield and if they had just a bit more quality up front they would have nicked it but they can very proud of the efforts.

Man City tore Sunderland apart in the first half hour and it's hard to see where the Black Cats are heading but they were terrible again but City took their chances and won it with ease. Man United and Chelsea won against Ipswich and Walsall respectively but did anyone see Falcao's free kick where he slipped? it's a bit sad to see a player who 2 years ago was one of the best strikers in Europe.

Predictions time! Here are my predictions for the Premier League this weekend.

Tottenham 1 - 2 Man City - I think this game will be quite a close one and I see Harry Kane finally scoring here. He was very unlucky on Wednesday but goals will come for him. City will look to bounce back from their shock defeat at home to West Ham last week and I think they will be just a little to much for Spurs.

Leicester 1 - 3 Arsenal - If Arsenal would have lost midweek, I would have gone for a home win but I think that win at Spurs will give the players confidence. It is not going to be an easy game by any means and Leicester will cause a lot of problems but I think The Gunners just edge it.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Aston Villa - Liverpool absolutely must win this game, if not then Brendan Rodgers is in massive trouble. I think they will just get over the line here but Villa will be no mugs and will be in good spirits after their win against Birmingham.

Manchester United 4 - 0 Sunderland - This really could be a cricket score, although United aren't exactly exciting to watch, I think they will run riot here as Sunderland simply can't defend and look terrible. Anthony Martial is looking a top player and I reckon if he wants, he could score a hat trick.

Southampton 2 - 1 Swansea - Southampton were a little unlucky last week but their thumping of MK Dons midweek will probably give them enough to win here. Swansea have lost their way a little recently and I think it will be another defeat here, they will cause problems but home win for me.

Stoke City 1 - 2 Bournemouth - Stoke need Ryan Shawcross back ASAP, although they got a win against Fulham midweek, I think The Cherries could continue their winning streak here. I think this game will be quite a good one.

West Ham 1 - 1 Norwich - West Ham are a funny side, beat the big boys away but don't seem to win at home! I think this game has a score draw written all over it.

Newcastle 1 - 0 Chelsea - Last week I fancied West Ham to pull off a shock at The Etihad and I am going to put my neck on the line and go for a home win. I don't know why but football is a funny old game and Newcastle simply can't get any worse can they? It's a shame we won't get to see Mitrovic and Costa have a scrap because it would be entertaining. It's either going to be a shock win for The Toon as Mourinho has a poor record there or Chelsea will run riot and score 7.

Watford 2 - 2 Crystal Palace - This game has got goals written all over it, Palace are quick side and will cause a lot of problems and they are good to watch as well. Watford will be in buoyant mood after their win last week at Newcatle.

I will be back on Sunday for round up of all the action and all the talking points.

Until then :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment